Thursday, September 06, 2007

Something wonderful

Woman addressing two middle-aged gentlemen:
"Excuse me. Are you two Viet Nam vets?"

Gentlemen: "Well yes we are."

Woman (extending her hand): "Thank you and welcome home."

- Westbound morning MAX

-- Overheard by Dyana, who writes:
"While I don't support the current war in Iraq, or the Viet Nam war, I do think our military men and women deserve our sincerest gratitude for laying their lives on the line in order to protect us. I was deeply moved by this woman's comment as were the veterans she thanked who may have waited nearly 40 years to hear that gratitude expressed."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This post made me smile. Thank you for sharing more than just the weird side of Portland!

Anonymous said...

Good morning and Merry Christmas, Rich! I hope you are also deeply moved by my comment as you may have waited for your Cristmas' morning greeting for over 8 months now.

Anonymous said...

I made a similar comment of thanks to a Viet Nam vet a few years ago. The man seemed to be holding back a certain amount of emotion when he responded with "Nobody ever thanked me before."

Supporting the people who put themselved "between their lov'd homes and the war's desolation" deserve thanks.